Are Bodybuilders Athletes?

Saw a debate on IG where a “influencer” calls himself an athlete. Many agree, others say its just a beauty pageant.

You can call bodybuilding a competitive sport. Powerlifting for sure is a competitive sport and athletes as it’s judged by the strongest in your class. But are bodybuilders really athletes or just enhanced beauty pageant contestants? You’re not judged by physical abilities just physical characteristics like beauty pageants.

• Yes they are athletes
  • No they are not athletes
0 voters

@UGMain

3 Likes

Great question….

3 Likes

How bout golfers, bowlers, race car drivers…. Not exactly the physical specimens one would call athletes

4 Likes

But they’re skilled in their sports. And sports are done with physical capabilities.

4 Likes

At the same time Mrs Universe contestants also under go training and physical fitness to compete in a beauty pageant. They would know more then the average person that doesn’t train.

4 Likes

I think there should be new terms. Currently anyone not competing by definition can call themselves an athlete. And some sports require very little physical abilities. But they also classify under same terms as athletes. Remember that old comedy when they span all the overweight bowlers and the fake ESPN panel says these are some of the world’s finest athletes lol.

3 Likes

I vote who gives a shit.

4 Likes

You’d be surprised how many hurt at not being called athletes lol.

5 Likes

Ha ha

2 Likes

Then anybody thats in Infantry is a athlete…

4 Likes

I believe that’s the threshold.

I read a comprehensive analysis of cross fit and they meet every single definition for athletes and a sporting event. I know some say they’re just exercising.

A common misconception is BB’rs are not strong. I’ve seen many that are extremely strong.

1 Like

Exactly!!! Most ground pounders are in extremely great shape. Uncommon to the rest of the military. Sure an average military guy can pass their pft but the actual war fighters are in another class.

4 Likes

Theyre strong but not lifting nor competing for strength. They lift to get better for appearance and “beauty” lol

2 Likes

Hahaha

1 Like

It kinda is a pageant but those guys/gals put alot of time in the gym to get there.

You could argue that posing is a “skill” too.

2 Likes

Just like the Miss Universe pageant they learn to walk and show off their skills to the judges in each category lol

1 Like

I second this vote!

3 Likes

Are chess players athletes?

2 Likes
2 Likes

Can they be both?

A Pageant Contest is not Sport.
Weightlifting/Body Building is a Sport.

Therefore, are they not Athletes that are participating in a Pageant Contest?

6 Likes