Muscle Dysmorphia and Steroids

I was thinking about the history of anabolic steriods, and there use. As we all know they have been around for awhile and can get into a debate with just about anything regarding them. So it seems to be documented that steroid use and / or abuse started because of the Russians in the Olympics. Once this started happening and being exposed men of all ages and boys were being exposed to the ability of enhancing their physique, size, muscle mass, thick, thin, cut, bulk… You name it and then everybody was interested. By interested i mean that they figured that this was an opportunity to use and develop chemicals that could “cut” out the effort needed to actually develop naturally, and be bigger, better, stronger!
The problem that has been up and coming with this idea that this or these “super Supps” could replace the time and effort that it took to become bigger, better, stronger is that as humans we have developed a clinical symptom called “Muscle Dysmorphai”, and that is what I would like to discuss.
Muscle dymporphia is a subtype of the obsessive mental disorder clinacly called “body dysmporhic disorder”. Which can be grouped and often is with and eating disorder. Muscle dysmorphia is often or sometimes called bigorexia, megarexia, or reverse anorexia. In my description of being bigger, better, stronger these diagnoses come from the belief of that ones own body is to small, to skinny, insufficiently muscular, or lean and in most cases, the individual is normal or above normal and exceptionally large, or muscular!
As for most males using Anabolic Steroids, Muscular Dysmorphia affects mostly those involved in sports where body size and or weight are contributing factors. The contributing factors are rationales to gain muscle or become leaner.
Here lyes a major problem that most do not forecast or see coming with the use of anabolic steroids that I have personally experienced first hand … the quest to seemingly “fix” ones body consumes every bit of personal down time, every second of your attention ( diet, training, sups, cost, where to go, who to go to, education… the list is tremendous), resources, and any and all preoccupations that are associated with muscle dysmorphia
Muscle dysmorphia can be difficult to to recognize in relation to anorexia nervosa , since the person who maybe experiencing this issue typically remains very healthy looking. And by healthy looking I must go back to the wanting bigger, better, stronger issue. We as consumers of anabolic steroids must recognize that we may fall victim to self interpretive and progressive forms of Muscle dysmorphia.

The problem seems to stem again from when we were exposed to the use of anabolic steriods, which most of us clearly remember the olympics, and body dissatisfaction arised. Psychologists have in fact identified further studies such as excess engagement in activities to increase muscularity, activities (which includes injection of growth hormones or drugs.) spending 3 hours or more in the gym or in any manner that includes muscle growth activites, by the use of anabolic steriods we feel the ability to camouflage our ability to lift or push our bodies past natural abilities just like a person with anorexia nervosa covering up with larger clothes to appear bigger than they naturally would be!

some risk factors of muscle dysmorphia development have been identified as,
• Trauma and bullying: Versus the general population, persons manifesting muscle dysmorphia are more likely to have experienced or observed traumatic events like sexual assault or domestic violence,or to have sustained adolescent bullying and ridicule for perceived deficiencies such as smallness, weakness, poor athleticism, or intellectual inferiority.Increased body mass may seem to reduce the threat of further mistreatment.
• Sociopsychological traits: Low self-esteem associates with higher levels of body dissatisfaction and of muscle dysmorphia.Increased body size or muscularity may seem to enhance the masculine identity.
• Media exposure: As Western media emphasize physical attractiveness, some marketing campaigns now exploit male body-image insecurities .Such media provoke bodily comparisons and pressure individuals to conform, yet increase the gap between men’s perceptions of their own muscularity versus their desired muscularity.In college-aged men, a strong predictor of a muscularity quest is internalization of the idealized male bodies depicted in media.
• Athletic involvement: Athletes tend to share some psychological factors that may predispose to muscle dysmorphia, factors including high levels of competitiveness, need for control, and perfectionism, and athletes tend to be more critical of their own bodies and body weight.Athletes who also fail to achieve performance standards may resort to the extreme body-modifying measures of muscle dysmorphia.Involvement in sports where size, strength, and weight raise competitive advantage or lessen disadvantage, associates with muscle dysmorphia.Athletic ideals reinforce the social ideal of muscularity.Conversely, those already disposed to muscle dysmorphia may be more likely to participate in such sports.
Gentleman please be aware of your health and safety! I highly encourage anybody and everybody to be safe and do the right thing for your body!

*notes used to produce this article are from wikipedia
*There are no reasons to interpritate what is stated as true and accurate facts. As the reader or end consumer, you must recognize these documents are for entertainment purposes only. Any thought, idea, action or misrepresentation is solely in part or in full on the person deemed capable of interacting with above documentation!

@SemperFi
@TG
@Bigmurph

3 Likes

I’m not sure how this looks on a pc but mobile app how the heck you suppose read what you copy and pasted? I have to scroll the the right to read?

1 Like

Im trying to get with trengod and bigmurph to fix an issue with how I was told to input the article… now I can’t fix it!

You can scroll any way you want to… up down left right, go get one of those crayons your supposed to have mailed to me and I’ll explain why the “>” fucked it up

Nah I’m good bro you need all the crayons you can get. I’ll wait till you fix it and give it a read lol. Nice try though lol

1 Like

No indentions. Just the “>” symbol before copy pasted section

1 Like

He’s going to explain to you why the > messed it up. You want crayons :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

I have a few coloring books my 7 year old hasnt started yet i can donate them to @josh if you want my man :wink: lol

2 Likes

Definitely need the crayons…Trengod had to fix it

@SemperFi should probably proof read it lol

2 Likes

Maybe im sure my typing skills and misspelled words are all over it!

@josh I am busy today but I will be happy to proof read this for you this evening. Just let me know if you want by assistance.

2 Likes

Where always looking for a good promo on free coloring books lol

2 Likes

This is a real thing. I used to be obese and lazy as shit until I had extremely high BP at 21 years old and dropped from 295 to 185 using just dieting. At that point I started hanging around a guy at work that did personal training on the side. I started watching documentaries like pumping iron and generation iron and started feeling like i was a pathetic little excuse of a man. I have been trying to “fix” the problem since then. It literally consumes my life. I’m so afraid of becoming fat again or scrawny again that I critique every thing I do. I think this is a form of muscle dysmorphia because no matter what I look like I always feel like I look like shit. I could look like the great Arnold himself and still think I looked like one of the geeks from revenge of the nerds. I feel like it could be worse. I could have a real mental issue like a few of the fellas on here :rofl:

3 Likes

Very interesting read, I beleive we , lemme keep it on I , I believe I suffered this to some extent for simply always wanting to look bigger, more masculine , etc… Not once did I ever think to myself that ok I look and feel good where I’m at now so no need to continue, hmm…

2 Likes

Thanks for enjoying the read I hope to get a few more up soon

2 Likes