Pre-Surgery Nicotine Test

Has anyone heard of surgeons giving a pre-surgery warning notice and subsequent “test” to ensure there is no nicotine present. Surgery will be delayed until such time the individual can prove through some sort of test… no nicotine.

I’m sure immediate emergencies will be waved.

I’ve just recently heard of this in our area. I thought it was just what “I” heard but apparently it’s the status quo now. The surgeons are mandating cessation leading up to surgery. They prefer no nicotine during the healing process but admitted they can’t control that.

3 Likes

Wife has told me there’s several ladies she knows that couldn’t get new boobs until they tested out nicotine free. Apparently one lady passed the test with about one week vape free.

All very interesting.

Tagging in our healthcare pro’s

@Neuro @rnmuscle @BBSQ5

That sounds bananas but it wouldn’t surprise me

3 Likes

I don’t think they want anything in you anymore just so they can rule out outside drugs reacting badly

3 Likes

As much as I love nicotine it’s not great for small vessels and wound healing in general. So if the surgery is aesthetic or micro-vascular it makes a lot of sense.

4 Likes

Ditto!!!

I’m currently making some changes… extremely painful but needed.

1 Like

I started giving myself “x” amount of cans of pouches a month. Buy em at the start. And when they are out. I’m out. Actually caused me to cut down a lot. Those damn pouches just make it so easy all night at work.

2 Likes

You’re preaching to the choir brother!!!

I’ve discovered the lozenges can be heavily abused. Went from 3 cans of dip a day…. Quit 10 years ago…. To abusing the crap out of the lozenges… like 4 x the recommended amount.

I’m whittling way back (400%) this long weekend with monday being telework…. So I’ll have 4 days before interacting with the outside world.

2 Likes

We will Take it one step at a time!

2 Likes

Yeah, nicotine “supposedly” slows the healing process of surgeries. If you smoke, they don’t want you smoking for so many days before anesthesia, but nicotine itself is just something that slows the healing. There’s so many variables though and I feel it is what it is and you’ll heal at the rate your body wants to. Plus, you can hit up some peptides and that will aid in speeding up the healing process of surgeries.

I have dipped off and on for years and have switched to pouches of Zyn and whatnot. Eventually, I finally just quit cold turkey one day, but I have snuck a Zyn here and there, cause most of my friends or family use them.

2 Likes

Brother…I know we’re never supposed to say never… but I’m hurting right now… 2 and 1/2 days at a fraction of my norm.

When this pain subsides and I’m done with nicotine…. NEVER AGAIN!!!

1 Like

Nicotine has its wear and tear on your body, but it usually only exacerbates whatever you have going on. Like illnesses, arthritis, gout, etc. If you’re doing more nicotine than normal and you’re feeling other things, your body will let you know that you’re fucking with it. We all have our vices though and there are way worse things on the body than nicotine.

You should get some relief on things from the GH, but obviously it won’t help with nicotine cravings and whatnot.

1 Like

I’m hoping that tomorrow (teleworking thankfully) will get me over the hump…. Tomorrow afternoon will be 3 and 1/2 days. I’ve stretched out 14…4mg lozenges to now…it’s usually about 2 hours worth.

1 Like

I’ve never tried the lozenges, but I know a bunch of folks where they’ve worked well for. Most of the folks I know use Zyn or another brand of just pouches.

1 Like

I love the lozenges… problem is when I quit dipping 10 years ago and got on the lozenges…. I didn’t have an exit plan… here I am bigger than crap using about $60 a week worth… 3 at a time every 20 minutes or so.

I gotta break the addiction

1 Like

Hey poppy how’s it going with the lozenges. Not that it really applies to something you aren’t hiding but for those of us that had drug problems and hide it from certain people. I saw a post on video where the person said the best part of quiting was not having to lie to their wife. And it made me think once I was hiding my use is when it lost its fun. And yeah feeling better physically is great and all but the no more lying probably is best part of stopping drug use.

2 Likes

Actually it’s going very good. I used to go through a bottle of 27 (4mg) lozenges in 7-10 waking hours.

I’m stretching a bottle out to 2 full days (48 hours).

Although it’s not a drug problem, I am avoiding the evil eye from wifey as of late. I was going through a box of 4 bottles every 3 days at $35 a box. I was justifying it by saying at least it’s not drugs or drinking.

I’m close to quitting all together.

3 Likes

Awesome news.

2 Likes

I realized I had a problem when I could hit 20 8mg pouches in a 12 hour shift.

1 Like