Semaglutide

Thinking hard on jumping on this train. What’s y’all experience? Protocol? Diet requirements? How long will a 5 mg bottle last at first? How long it take to start working? Side effects? What happens when I come off?
Hit me with it
Thanks

2 Likes

Here’s my experience with doc…

Start at .25mgs once a week for 4 weeks to access tolerance.

Then .5mgs for a period of time

Then 1mg

Then 2mgs

The Ozempic Files

This is my whole experience.

I would advise to be very aware of your blood sugar. Extremely easy for it to drop out (hypoglycemia) and put you in danger.

Read through the log I posted and you’ll get a real good idea on how it effected me.

Keep in mind… it was/is my diabetes that’s driving all this. A side effect is weight loss that also helps blood sugar. If I could get my diet under control, I wouldn’t need ozempic.

3 Likes

5mg vial will last depending on your dosage…example: .5mgs will last 10 weeks.

It started working immediately for me… like dosing at 5pm and snack at 7ish felt heavy.

Side effects… nausea, heartburn, weird bowel movements, moderate to severe belly ache. All of these are occasional and nothing to terribly severe.

Don’t know about coming off.

2 Likes

What kind of weight loss have you experienced?

2 Likes

15-20 lbs.

I was struggling but still got down to ~205

After oz…I’m coming in at a light 187 (occasionally) first thing in am to a 193 in pm.

It can be more if you choose. Wifey lost 35ish or so in a year.

I’m trying to be a bit prudent and save as much muscle as reasonably possible.

1 Like

When you come off. You get all your cravings back if that’s the issue. It’s like most drugs when you stop using the benefit is gone. Already lots of people using to lose weight come off didn’t do any real life style changes and the will power wasn’t there to keep it off

2 Likes

That’s what I’m afraid of.

2 Likes

Morning brother.
So this works on your cravings which in return has an effect on your sugar?

Retatrutide Is another type I’m looking at. It has been shown to reduce fatty liver deposits in person without alcohol related liver issues

These data indicate that retatrutide has the potential to resolve NAFLD. “This study raises the possibility that in the early stages of liver disease, it is possible to ‘de-fat’ the liver, which could in turn help to reduce the long-term cardiac, metabolic, renal, and liver-related harm from obesity.Jun 26, 2023

2 Likes

For me… it does NOT curb my cravings…I still want to eat a whole large supreme pizza or way to much at Waffle House.

It just makes it so I fill up faster. Two slices of pizza and I’m stuffed. I want more but there’s a price to pay… extreme discomfort up to and including puking. A bad side effect is constant puking… even after eating a morsel. I don’t have that problem.

I can eat through the fullness now. I pay for it with a huge belly ache.

For me…I eat much smaller portions and much slower. That way I’m fuller quicker and walk away.

It will still take a bit of willpower.

2 Likes

I’m not really looking for appetite suppression or cravings being curbed. I was more looking for sugar regulation as my was high about a month ago.
Lately if been getting up and snacking but I wouldn’t be mad if that went away… lol

3 Likes

It all kinda goes hand and hand.

I know about sugar regulation but not educated enough to explain it all. Stand by…

1 Like

I posted this some time ago

PoppyU.S.M.C. VET/ UGM MOD

Mar '21

I was asked about my A1c and carbs and the difference between carbs. This is a good article that explains it well. Actually this article will explain how carbs effect your body whether your a diabetic or not.

When people eat a food containing carbohydrates, the digestive system breaks down the digestible ones into sugar, which enters the blood.

• As blood sugar levels rise, the pancreas produces insulin, a hormone that prompts cells to absorb blood sugar for energy or storage.
  • As cells absorb blood sugar, levels in the bloodstream begin to fall.
  • When this happens, the pancreas start making glucagon, a hormone that signals the liver to start releasing stored sugar.
  • This interplay of insulin and glucagon ensure that cells throughout the body, and especially in the brain, have a steady supply of blood sugar.

Carbohydrate metabolism is important in the development of type 2 diabetes , which occurs when the body can’t make enough insulin or can’t properly use the insulin it makes.

• Type 2 diabetes usually develops gradually over a number of years, beginning when muscle and other cells stop responding to insulin. This condition, known as insulin resistance, causes blood sugar and insulin levels to stay high long after eating. Over time, the heavy demands made on the insulin-making cells wears them out, and insulin production eventually stops.

Glycemic index

In the past, carbohydrates were commonly classified as being either “simple” or “complex,” and described as follows:

Simple carbohydrates:

These carbohydrates are composed of sugars (such as fructose and glucose) which have simple chemical structures composed of only one sugar (monosaccharides) or two sugars (disaccharides). Simple carbohydrates are easily and quickly utilized for energy by the body because of their simple chemical structure, often leading to a faster rise in blood sugar and insulin secretion from the pancreas – which can have negative health effects.

Complex carbohydrates:

These carbohydrates have more complex chemical structures, with three or more sugars linked together (known as oligosaccharides and polysaccharides). Many complex carbohydrate foods contain fiber, vitamins and minerals, and they take longer to digest – which means they have less of an immediate impact on blood sugar, causing it to rise more slowly. But other so called complex carbohydrate foods such as white bread and white potatoes contain mostly starch but little fiber or other beneficial nutrients.

Dividing carbohydrates into simple and complex, however, does not account for the effect of carbohydrates on blood sugar and chronic diseases. To explain how different kinds of carbohydrate-rich foods directly affect blood sugar, the glycemic index was developed and is considered a better way of categorizing carbohydrates, especially starchy foods.

The glycemic index ranks carbohydrates on a scale from 0 to 100 based on how quickly and how much they raise blood sugar levels after eating. Foods with a high glycemic index, like white bread, are rapidly digested and cause substantial fluctuations in blood sugar. Foods with a low glycemic index, like whole oats, are digested more slowly, prompting a more gradual rise in blood sugar.

• Low-glycemic foods have a rating of 55 or less, and foods rated 70-100 are considered high-glycemic foods. Medium-level foods have a glycemic index of 56-69.
  • Eating many high-glycemic-index foods – which cause powerful spikes in blood sugar – can lead to an increased risk for type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and overweight. There is also preliminary work linking high-glycemic diets to age-related macular degeneration, ovulatory infertility and colorectal cancer.
  • Foods with a low glycemic index have been shown to help control type 2 diabetes and improve weight loss.
  • A 2014 review of studies researching carbohydrate quality and chronic disease risk showed that low-glycemic-index diets may offer anti-inflammatory benefits.

Many factors can affect a food’s glycemic index, including the following:

• Processing: Grains that have been milled and refined—removing the bran and the germ—have a higher glycemic index than minimally processed whole grains.
  • Physical form: Finely ground grain is more rapidly digested than coarsely ground grain. This is why eating whole grains in their “whole form” like brown rice or oats can be healthier than eating highly processed whole grain bread.
  • Fiber content: High-fiber foods don’t contain as much digestible carbohydrate, so it slows the rate of digestion and causes a more gradual and lower rise in blood sugar.
  • Ripeness: Ripe fruits and vegetables tend to have a higher glycemic index than un-ripened fruit.
  • Fat content and acid content: Meals with fat or acid are converted more slowly into sugar.

Numerous epidemiologic studies have shown a positive association between higher dietary glycemic index and increased risk of type 2 diabetes and coronary heart disease. However, the relationship between glycemic index and body weight is less well studied and remains controversial.

Glycemic load

One thing that a food’s glycemic index does not tell us is how much digestible carbohydrate – the total amount of carbohydrates excluding fiber – it delivers. That’s why researchers developed a related way to classify foods that takes into account both the amount of carbohydrate in the food in relation to its impact on blood sugar levels. This measure is called the glycemic load. A food’s glycemic load is determined by multiplying its glycemic index by the amount of carbohydrate the food contains. In general, a glycemic load of 20 or more is high, 11 to 19 is medium, and 10 or under is low.

The glycemic load has been used to study whether or not high-glycemic load diets are associated with increased risks for type 2 diabetes risk and cardiac events. In a large meta-analysis of 24 prospective cohort studies, researchers concluded that people who consumed lower-glycemic load diets were at a lower risk of developing type 2 diabetes than those who ate a diet of higher-glycemic load foods. A similar type of meta-analysis concluded that higher-glycemic load diets were also associated with an increased risk for coronary heart disease events. For good health, choose foods that have a low or medium glycemic load, and limit foods that have a high glycemic load.

2 Likes

What about fiberous carbs like green veggies?

1 Like

Weight loss and exercise will help your blood sugar BUT there’s some conditions that need medication.

Type 1 diabetics can’t produce their own insulin… they require exogenous insulin.

Type 2 diabetics like me produce insulin… it just doesn’t work the way it’s supposed to. This requires meds to help. The meds were working to a point but I lacked the long haul willpower to keep my carb intake down. I could go in 3 month sprints being a diet queen to get my blood sugar down but I was miserable. Think about it like the competitive bodybuilders prepping for a show… only it would be for the rest of my lifer.

Always better. I eat (kind of ) lots of veggies.

1 Like

This is just me and I don’t know the science behind it…I should.

With my meds… not eating regular carbs and only eating fiber/veggies will make me go hypoglycemic quick and in a hurry.

My body doesn’t process carbs in any way. They just turn to sugar and float around destroying stuff… nerve endings… eyesight etc.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.