For the stage steppers

What is your carb intake bulking? What is your carb intake cutting?

1 Like

No one?
fuck-no-no-way

Thatā€™s waaay out of my wheelhouse brother

Thereā€™s like 3 ppl that get on stage here buddy.

2 Likes

.Orrrrrrr anyone that incorporates cutting in their regimen besides bulking.

1 Like

I walk around at 210-220 at normal operating procedure. I ate my way to 240 almost 20 years ago for prā€™s on the platform. I immediately backed down to 215ish afterwards. Recently with health markers heading south and sugar problemsā€¦ I lost 20ish pounds.

For me it was/is recording every morsel I put in my cake hole. My fitness pal has me logging in 1300 something days in a row.

Ozempic has helped tremendously.

Everyone is different and individual bodies respond differently. Thatā€™s why most competitors pay a nutritionist or at least consult with one.

@Neuro can pack away carbs and stay relatively lean while some canā€™t.

2 Likes

You gotta find out what works for you. Experimenting is good. Keeping an extremely detailed food log will help.

2 Likes

Yahtzee. I can tell you what I did but as @Poppy stated I can smash down some carbs and my body loves it.

Peak massing I was at 700-800g of carbs a day. The highest my a1c ever got was 5.0 my fasting glucose was around the low 70ā€™s. Thatā€™s not a normal response.

When I cut I dropped my carbs down to 200. But felt like ass. I would do it all differently now anyway.

Slowly increase your carbs while detailing how you feel in the gym and out and go from there.

3 Likes

It took me one year to pack on 20 pounds. I didnā€™t track intakeā€¦I ate until I was uncomfortably stuffed three times a day. I had zero medical issues so I just packed it inā€¦lots of calories. On the way to work 2nd shift on the right side of the highway was a local new York style pizzeriaā€¦ mcdonaldsā€¦hardeesā€¦mexican jointā€¦i was a bachelor so i ate plenty. Every day before work was a half dozen eggs and a half bag of hash browns.

3 Likes

Copious amonts of chicken tuna lean beef oatmeal whey isolate also

3 Likes

20 lbs in a year sounds so uncomfortable :joy::joy:

For me it all depended on what I was using. If not on tren then I couldnā€™t really afford to eat carbs. I loaded on protein and fats. If on high tren I would eat 3 large dominoes pizza for dinner. 2 whole grocery rotisserie chickens for lunch. In my late teens i would go before gym and pre workout meal was 10 or 12 bean and cheese or carne guisada tacos with cheese or 5 burgers from burger king. Didnā€™t count my cals so much. I donā€™t remember my weight back then but was semi lean and hit my first bench of 405 when I was about 18.

If youā€™re stepping on stage itā€™s a different story. But I like to look at the scale and judge with how much fat Iā€™m gaining. I donā€™t have the best genetics where I can gain fat really easy on carbs but I can also gain muscle easy. Now burning off fat isnā€™t easy at all for me. So I have to find a balance.

@rnmuscle could guide you a bit more or @Kad1 or @PHD

6 Likes

Lee Priest had a crazy ability to eat everything in site on a bulk and cut like it was nothing. I remember him talking about eating a bucket of fried chicken as a single meal in the day.

leepriestbulkcut.jpeg.ff203d7d5cc408143c48ebe6ddc3349c

3 Likes

Thank you fellas I do appreciate it. I like getting numbers and seeing how much everybody cuts back when theyā€™re trying to lean out and kind of find an average figure. First pin of tren today. I do feel better energy wise on lower carbs. Iā€™ll continue to read your guysā€™s feedback and play with my diet as you guys stated

2 Likes

This is a very broad question. This is all dependent upon your body fat your build your weight what condition are you in. Too broad to even to begin to answer.

8 Likes

10-4ā€¦ When I have all those answers Iā€™ll get back to you
Thanks big dawgā€¦

1 Like

It was! I lost it quick!!! I felt like a cinder block.

1 Like

I generally add carbs in slowly after completing g for a few reasons,
1- gut health. Too many carbs too fast will cause lots of upset.
2- I monitor my BG levels as I add them back in to be sure I stay in normal limits. Also, have labs drawn to see insulin levels.
I donā€™t go crazy bulking because Iā€™m an old man now and itā€™s not really healthy to do.
Right now about 16 weeks post show Iā€™m up to about 450 carbs per day, Thaler probably go up again in the next few weeks as Iā€™ve just increased PEDā€™s. I have added about 10-20g per meal since competing.
My low is about 200g not taking into account final weeks of prep.
I donā€™t like to get too fat in the off season so I donā€™t do nuts.
Like @Neuro said, focus on how you look, feel, perform, and recover while keeping an eye on BP and BG.

5 Likes

Been out of commission for a day. I slept like 17 hours. Going home soon. Like i said at first 89-96, it was 300 lbs I dont know but trey Brewer, all these in the troy smith camp just were eating and eating. Theres some pics of Cutler, priest, others really bloated and guest posing was a joke. I remember Dan Smith was just fat then he won the 90 north americans 4 months later. I tried to eat 2 g per lb of bw and 3 carbs pplus MCT and other shit. I was big and fat, then add novolin r after workout and i hit 290, disgusting. 2 per lb of lean body mass was a little beterr and cycling carbs 3 per LBM, 2 for a couple days. A 50g day. Faster acting insulin was safer if you knew how to use it. But, 300 grams of protein was plenty with oatmeal or grits and potatoes. With the supps, i started to settle in at 275, 260 and dieting was so much better and the drugs seemed to work better, you could see whats happening, make adjustments. You think you look good and you look like crap, im gonna post a pic from when a was like 277 and im big but think of 10 more lbs and im wearing 44 inch jeans. Then you had thiomucase and prep H all over the loose skin after loosing 60 lbs in 12-16 weeks. The best i felt and the best i di was when I watched a show at 270 in Nov. And took a whole year to gget into shape and win the whole thing at 225. I think then Phil Hernon was there and Cris cook. Thats when i knew deep inside never could beat these guys and it became fun to win local, state , regional shows but the big national level ones were crazy, then it cooled down for a few years, really good but not cartoon physiques. At 34 you were old already and the masters had fallen off after gsome guys died, lou ferrigno and vince tayler , were doing them. I forget the guys name owned a trucking company in Alabama, i think. Beat vince taylor at masters olympia. He had a massive heart attack. I did fine with a really honest friend or former competitor look at me and went by the ā€œmirrorā€ you want to pose in the am and in the same lighting. Same everything, buts thats for the Real meatheads like me. Everytime there was an off year at the USA or NAā€¦ Id be making a come backšŸ˜† Then best I felt was when this site came on 235 lean. I gotta put up those at 48 yo. Its funny, i still would as my training partner. Do i look skinnny? I wanna be lean , but do i look skinny. Whats this loose skin around my waist. Last 10 years I get 200 grams of protein like 300 g of carbs and fat from the protein. No bloatingā€¦ You have to base macros on your lean body mass to start then adjust them if your just getting lean you cycle the carbs, try staying off blatant sugar and Glutenā€¦ Im late!

7 Likes

@Kad1 @rnmuscle you guys are amazing thank you!!! so much vital informationā€¦ Will respond better later tonight.

3 Likes