Geek's Show Me the Money Cut/Maintain

Hello again fit friends! It’s time for my next cut and recomp. This one is going to last 6 months and will consist of a 3 month cut and 3 month maintenance.

Starting Stats and Goal

• Current Weight: 224.6 lbs

• Current Body Fat: 18%

• Height: 6’0"

• Goal weight: 210.6 lbs

• Stretch Goal: 205 lbs

• Home Run: 200 lbs

• Goal BF%: less than 14%

Goal is to lose at least 14 lbs, taking me down to 210ish lbs. Note that this is lowballing it (going off RP Diet App calculations) – I fully expect it to be possible to lose an additional 4-8 lbs beyond that goal, putting me at a fairly lean 205 lbs when all is said and done.

Training

Training will consist of 4 mesocycles of Renaissance Periodization’s Custom Template. I’ve customized the template such that I’m emphasizing Quads, Shoulders, Back and Chest and doing 6 exercises every day.

Executing the plan is quite simple: All I need do is come up with a 10RM as a starting point and choose my exercises from the spreadsheet. From there, all I need to do is perform the training, tracking my reps, fatigue and pump each day. Here is an example of what a typical day might look like:

Here’s an overview of what how each week is structured in terms of muscle group rotations:

Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
Chest Compound Back Vertical Pull Quads Front Delts Back Vertical Pull Hams REST
Chest Isolation Back Horizontal Pull Quads Front Delts Back Horizontal Pull Quads REST
Triceps Biceps Glutes Triceps Side Delts Quads REST
Side Delts Side Delts Hams Chest Compound Rear Delts Glutes REST
Front Delts Rear Delts Calves Chest Isolation Biceps Calves REST
Traps Forearms Abs Traps Forearms Abs REST

As usual, reps will be autoregulated, using an ascending Reps in Reserve (RIR) schema. Target rep range on week 1 will be around 20-30 reps and come down from there as weights increase in set increments on each exercise. Breakdown is as follows:

Week Reps in Reserve Sets/Session Weight Scaling
1 3 12-15 0.9 of estimated 10RM
2 3 18-21 1.025 times previous week
3 2 24-27 1.05 times previous week
4 2 30-33 1.075 times previous week
5 1 36-39 1.1 times previous week
6 1/2 reps of week 1 12-15 0.5 of week 1 weight

Sets will increase each week according to fatigue and pumps achieved when the exercise is performed. Usually, this will mean each exercise will increase by 1 set each week. Most exercises in the plan start at week on at 2 sets. Some of the smaller muscles, however, start at 3 (biceps, shoulders, abs, forearms, stuff like that). Therefore, assuming normal fatigue and pumps, most exercises will be 6-7 sets on week 5 (peak week), implying a maximum volume of around 36-39 working sets per session on that week.

Cardio & NEAT

The plan for activity is pretty simple: Hill walking (126-150 HR) before and after training for 10 minutes, along with 5 minutes of cooldown walking, totalling 30 minutes of walking/cardio during each training session. I’ll also be doing a 15-20 minute walk each morning. This will put me around 9k-10k steps per day.

Nutrition

Nutrition will be handled via meal planning in the RP Diet App. The app will adjust my calories up or down automatically depending on the results of my weigh ins. The app allows me to simply choose my preferred foods and will then tell me how much I have to weigh out to meet those goals.

I’ve built up a good stable of high protein low carb low fat recipes and have them frozen in the fridge, pre-prepared. Compliance has been shaky during maintenance, but that will end during the cut. Compliance on previous cuts has been around 90-95% and I anticipate similar numbers here.

One thing that I messed up big on my last cut was coming off – I reintroduced junk foods too quickly and I feel like that really derailed my maintenance. Of course, it doesn’t help that I had to undergo elective surgery followed closely by a severe infection that took a week or two to resolve. Nonetheless, I plan on waiting at least a month before deviating from my maintenance meal plan.

As of the outset of the cut, my meals and macros are structured as follows:

Training Days

Rest Day

Course

Steroids will consist entirely of goodies procured from @GearChurch. I’ll be using SomaLong instead of usual HGH – once weekly injections baybeeeee :slight_smile: I’ll also be incorporating insulin and injectable L-Carnitine into this cut at coach’s recommendation. Masteron and L-Carnitine will be titrated up during the course. Course will be structured as follows:

Compound Week 1 Week 2 Week 3 Week 4 Week 5 Weeks 6 - 12
Test E 200mg/wk 200mg/wk 200mg/wk 200mg/wk 200mg/wk 200mg/wk
Bold U 300mg/wk 300mg/wk 300mg/wk 300mg/wk 300mg/wk 300mg/wk
Mast E 300mg/wk 400mg/wk 500mg/wk 600mg/wk 700mg/wk 800mg/wk
Metformin 1000mg/day 1000mg/day 1000mg/day 1000mg/day 1000mg/day 1000mg/day
Injectable L-Carnitine 200mg/day 200mg/day 200mg/day 200mg/day 200mg/day 300mg/day
SomaLong 0.3ml/wk 0.3ml/wk 0.3ml/wk 0.3ml/wk 0.3ml/wk 0.3ml/wk
R Insulin 5IU 2x/day 5IU 2x/day 5IU 2x/day 5IU 2x/day 5IU 2x/day 5IU 2x/day

Supplements/Nutraceuticals

AM
Asprin 50mg/day
Slo Niacin 500mg/day
Vitamin C 1000mg/day
Vitamin K 100mcg/day
Fish Oil 3g/day
Creatine 3g/day
Men’s Multi 1 serving/day
PM
ZMA 1 serving/day
Chromium Picolinate 400mcg/day
Vitamin D3 5000IU/day

Supplementation strategy notes courtesy of Coach Mircea Balaj, for those interested:

• Aspirin (baby or geriatric) taken daily can lower the risk of cardiovascular events, such as a heart attack or stroke. Low-dose aspirin can reduce the risk by preventing blood clots from forming. Aspirin has a long-lasting effect on platelets, helping thin the blood for days after it is taken. High blood pressure (hypertension) is a risk factor for heart disease and for years, a low dose of daily aspirin has been considered a safe and healthy way to prevent heart disease. It’s reasonable, therefore, to associate aspirin with lowering blood pressure, as a critical way of preventing heart attacks and strokes.
  • Slo Niacin is a time-release form of vitamin B3 that will aid in maintaining a healthy HDL:LDL cholesterol ratio (can be found here: https://slo-niacin.com/)
  • Vitamin C is involved in many essential functions of the body ranging from a healthy immune system to the absorption of iron
  • Vitamin K (complex) helps protect from calcium buildup in the arteries making it useful for heart health. It would be best to find a blend that has K1, K2, and K3 (can be found here: Super K Vitamin, 90 softgels - Life Extension)
  • ZMA is just Zinc, Magnesium, and vitamin B6, all micronutrients that enhanced athletes usually are deficient in (see studies made by BALCO and Victor Conte)
  • Chromium Picolinate is a mineral that plays an important role in glucose metabolism. The dosing would be dependent on carbohydrate intake, usually, 50-100mcg of chromium for every 100g of consumed carbohydrates is recommended
  • Vitamin D3 is another vitamin that many people are usually deficient in. It helps with the immune system and the absorption of calcium among many other things.

I added the men’s multi, fish oil and creatine myself, since those have been shown to assist in body composition goals.

Wrap Up

I’m really looking forward to seeing the results of this cut. It’ll have been several years since I’ve been this low bodyfat, and if I hit my goal weight, I’ll be only another cut away from being eye-bleedingly peeled.

Whelp, there are all the deets. Now it’s time to execute. :smiley:

4 Likes

Get after it !!!

1 Like

Following and good luck!

2 Likes

What are your macros?

2 Likes

@Aude_Aliquid_Dignu

Right now the app has me at
210p/60f/70c rest day
210p/60f/275c training days

3 Likes

70 grams of carbs!!! That’s even low for me! Whewww don’t think I could do it.

2 Likes

Total calories?

2 Likes

@Aude_Aliquid_Dignu Hah no idea. The app purposely doesn’t show calories. However, FYI formula for calories is 4p + 9f + 4c = k. So if anyone ever gives you their macros, you can always calculate their calories :slight_smile:

So for rest days, 1300 kcal
For training days, 2120 kcal

3 Likes

Right on.

I am also a desk jockey and You are my height and targeting my weight.

I am 3300 calories a day to maintain so I think you should definitely loss a bunch of lbs.

2 Likes

I’m no macro expert but I didn’t get close to the same number of calories (it was very light) with this formula verse using the using the nutrition labels off of the things I eat, which is what I do. Which do you personally think is the better approach?

2 Likes

@Aude_Aliquid_Dignu I would say that the macro calculation is going to be the way to go. That is how RP Diet App handles it as well. For instance, I happen to be at a grocery store right now! Lets see how many calories something says it has vs it’s macros total. Let’s take an example pretty much at random:

Okay not so random, this Caesar looks dope. It works out to 4(1) + 9(7) + 4(3) = 79. When we run the math, we can easily see: the calorie label is lying. The label claims that a single serving is 70 calories when the math clearly says it’s 79. These labels unfortunately aren’t well regulated since there aren’t penalties for falsifying nutrition information. That said, food companies ARE bound to use certain well regulated calculations when coming up with macros. For instance, there’s a distinct set of macro values that the FDA uses for vegetable oil. They have to use that value when calculating macros for their products.

Please note that this formula is NOT good for finding macro totals based on calories — there could be any number of solutions for this equation otherwise.

6 Likes

That’s pretty close though. Illustrates your formula is close. That’s good stuff

2 Likes

I never even thought to check a label like that lol, I was aware of the ratios it just never crossed my mind to check! That’s not really that close it’s off by more that 10%.

2 Likes

Very interesting. Many things listed in my fitness pal data base do NOT match up with the labels.

@anabolic_geek aka Sherlock…I believe you’ve solved the mystery for me.

2 Likes

@Poppy

2 Likes

Damn it, now I gotta figure out how to eat more, smh

2 Likes

One of my favs on GOT

1 Like

@Jonny some of that may be due to rounding. I think they round up on the macros, come to think about it. So if the true values of fat are maybe half a gram lower and the carbs as well, that might make up the difference.

1 Like

Could be a rounding error I guess.

2 Likes

1 Like